Savory Desserts A La Mode
With warmer weather here, nothing says summer like cooling down at the end of the night with a bowl of ice cream. Rather than indulging in your usual cup of mint chip or vanilla, try switching things up by adding a twist. Below we have chosen some of our favorite desserts à la mode that will guarantee to be a showstopper at any BBQ or party!
Sweet and Salty Ice Cream Pie
There are few flavor combinations better than the classic mix of sweet and salty. This ice cream pie embodies everything we love to create a simple, tasty, and versatile dessert. With ingredients like pretzels, peanuts, and caramel, it’s hard to go wrong!
Time Needed: 40 mins
- 2 cups pretzels, finely ground
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream
- 5, 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered toffee bars, crushed
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
For the caramel sauce:
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine pretzels, butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Form crust into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan by firmly pressing mixture on the bottom and up to the sides.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes and let it completely cool.
- Soften ice cream for 5 minutes then place into an electric mixer.
- Mix until smooth while adding the crushed toffee bars and peanuts.
- Pour combined mixture into the cooled pie crust. Cover and freeze until completely firm.
- For the caramel sauce, combine the brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and salt into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil for 5 to 7 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Let sauce cool.
- Garnish pie with caramel sauce, extra toffee bits and caramel sauce.
- Eat and Enjoy!
Betty Crocker’s Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Change up your traditional ice cream sandwiches by adding brownies into the mix! These brownie ice cream sandwiches are sure to be a crowd pleaser. Better yet, they are even easier to make!
Time Needed: 2 hours
- 1 box (1 lb. 6.25 oz.) Betty Crocker™ Supreme original brownie mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs as called for on brownie mix box
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- Assorted sprinkles, chocolate chips and candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13 by 9 inch pan with foil so that the foil extends 2 inches over the sides.
- Make brownies as directed on the box and cool completely.
- Place brownies in the freezer for 30 minutes and then cut into 24 squares.
- Spoon ice cream onto one of the brownie squares and top with a second brownie square.
- Gently press down, roll sides with sprinkles and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Store them in the freezer or serve and enjoy!
Bananas Foster is a decadent dessert that is sure to be a showstopper. Due to many restaurants serving this dessert with a flame and a show, many make the misconception that it’s hard to make. Thanks to this recipe, you can have a restaurant-worthy dessert with half of the price tag.
Time Needed: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 scoops ice cream (vanilla or flavor of your choosing)
- Turn saucepan to medium heat and melt butter.
- Add sliced bananas and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, salt.
- Lower heat and continue stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Serve over two scoops of ice cream!
Ice Cream Freezer Pops
Perfect for kids and adults alike, ice cream freezer pops are a sweet treat that you can eat on the go. Instead of buying popsicle molds, this recipe makes things easier by using paper cups! Swap out some of the ingredients to make personalized flavors for unique palates.
Time Needed: 2 hrs 10 mins
- 1/2 package sandwich cookies (12 to 14 cookies), crushed
- 15 regular-size peanut butter cups, chopped
- 10 ounces candy-coated chocolate pieces (about 1 cup), crushed
- 1/2 gallon very good quality vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 15, 5-ounce paper cups
- Popsicle sticks
- Combine the cookies, peanut butter cups and chocolate pieces and add a spoonful to the bottom of each paper cup.
- Combine the ice cream in a mixer with the rest of the toppings until smooth.
- Spoon the ice cream carefully into the cups and insert a popsicle stick.
- Freeze until solid.
- When ready to serve, tear off the paper cup and enjoy!
Recipes Inspired By: